It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:20 am
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Subarat Impreza Wagon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:22 pm 

Well here it is,

Dreamed-up by me, designed by Pete, built by me. Slams hard, Slams smooth ...Just plain SLAMS!

(yes these are shitty cell phone pictures, and are the only two i took)

OfflineProfile
 Post subject: Re: Subarat Impreza Wagon
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:24 am 
Site Admin

Came out very clean. I'm glad you like it.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 am 

when I first saw the pic, I thought "WTF, two different subs?" then you said it was a PWK box. Then I thought "Ah there's science behind it. I bet it should sound good." :)

Just curious, what was the design goal?

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:33 am 

djQUAN wrote:
when I first saw the pic, I thought "WTF, two different subs?" then you said it was a PWK box. Then I thought "Ah there's science behind it. I bet it should sound good." :)

+1 :o

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 am 

Oh :o now THIS is exciting. been pondering on this idea for a while.
Is it at 8 and a 12?
In short, what was the critirias for this box? Passband, type of music, sq or audible loudness?
Im having difficulty knowing where to begin/what to ask.
Very curious on this soloution. Can you give me some pointers?

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:14 pm 

Yes its a 12" and an 8", I simply wanted the best of both worlds. This is my daily driver so i suppose it would fall in the loudness category, I don't compete in SQ or SPL events.

I got the Type X 12" just over a year ago and ran it in a sealed (for the most part) box I made to match the angle of my seats, it was poor construction and couldn't go low and didn't kick hard on the highs. After finding Pete's YouTube channel and seeing the things he could do with woofers I sent in a work order right away.

The 12 is 1,000watts and has it's own mono amp; the 8" is 300watts and powered by the 5th channel of a 5 channel amp. On the work order I listed the frequency response as 20hz to 200hz, fully knowing that was a bit unreasonable. If you really want to see it in action I have been pondering with making YouTube vids for a while now, and can make some demos/explanations.

Criteria: Get the best of two different sized subs; The lows of the powerful 12 and the smooth highs of an 8

Music: Dubstep, DrumandBass, dance/electro stuff, and slowed/bass modified. all bass HEAVY stuff

Listening type: Daily-Personal-Pleasure-Pounder

Pointers: Find two similar subs then go see Pete

Audible description: Blends smooth together, the 12 does most of the work but is not over powering, plays deep AND high.

Regrets: None

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:22 pm 

What are your crossover points on both amps? looks like an interesting build, I mean, having 2 subs complement each other and working as a team right? ;)

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm 

sameoldme wrote:
What are your crossover points on both amps? looks like an interesting build, I mean, having 2 subs complement each other and working as a team right? ;)

Look at what Dr. Geddes has written about multiple subs.
I would post a link but I need to hit the hay.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:51 am 

cubdenno wrote:
sameoldme wrote:

this the one you're looking for?
http://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:08 am 

This is just the sort of project i've been searching for to
get some insight and inspiration on :)
Especialy because i listen to many of the similare musictypes
u listed
It would be interresting to see a youtube vid on it,
though mostly for u toexplain alittle about it, cause sadly we all know
unless u have high quality recording gear, most of the sound
impression will be lost.
But man im glad i stumbled across your worklog :D
Inspiring stuff :D

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:40 am 

It would be interesting to see the comments on youtube for people going: "You know that different subs can't be mixed right?, you know there's cancellation issues huh?" :lol: , usually people run their mouth before doing any research or when they get baffled by somebody going off the beaten path, Get a decent camera and record it playing on low volume so the tonality can be heard...

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 am 

sameoldme wrote:

I'm also interested in your crossover points. Did Pete suggest any subsonic filtering or specific crossover points? Is the 8" bandpassed?

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:07 am 

Leo!! 8-) what does your picture say, my screen's too little :lol: always wondered...

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 am 

sameoldme wrote:
cubdenno wrote:
sameoldme wrote:

this the one you're looking for?
http://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

What I gathered from Dr. Geddes' papers is more geared towards home audio where you can have "sound traps" or certain areas within a room that will suffer from lower performance. He postulates that in order to get a more homogenous listening environment you can use multiple subwoofers spread out as far apart from each other as possible. He, however, makes no mention of the sizes and I imagine he's referring to multiple identical subs.

The topic of different sized subs is very interesting indeed though. I would imagine that different sized subs can either complement each other or can be counterproductive depending on the design. Obviously, Pete would be the ideal person to make something like this work. I would imagine, though, that haphazardly throwing together two different sized subs would likely end up sounding worse than two identical woofers.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 am 

sameoldme wrote:
Leo!! 8-) what does your picture say, my screen's too little :lol: always wondered...

:D :D Hehe, it's Neil DeGrasse Tyson saying "Watch out guys, we're dealing with a badass over here". 8-)

Here's a link to an explanation of the meme http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/neil-degr ... n-reaction :idea:

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am 

leousm wrote:
What I gathered from Dr. Geddes' papers is more geared towards home audio where you can have "sound traps" or certain areas within a room that will suffer from lower performance. He postulates that in order to get a more homogenous listening environment you can use multiple subwoofers spread out as far apart from each other as possible. He, however, makes no mention of the sizes and I imagine he's referring to multiple identical subs.

The topic of different sized subs is very interesting indeed though. I would imagine that different sized subs can either complement each other or can be counterproductive depending on the design. Obviously, Pete would be the ideal person to make something like this work. I would imagine, though, that haphazardly throwing together two different sized subs would likely end up sounding worse than two identical woofers.

djQUAN wrote:

sameoldme wrote:
It would be interesting to see the comments on youtube for people going: "You know that different subs can't be mixed right?, you know there's cancellation issues huh?" :lol: , usually people run their mouth before doing any research or when they get baffled by somebody going off the beaten path, Get a decent camera and record it playing on low volume so the tonality can be heard...

@ Sameoldme-Look at what Quan posted. Even here it would have been scoffed at but since it is a PWK designed enclosure it's "OK" And this is not a jab at Quan either. Just pointing out the post.

As for Geddes paper, the subs don't have to match. and yes, it's to even out room modes. The secondary woofers don't even have to have the same bandwidth. Placement is even recommended to not be on the same plain. So taking this to the car and the OP, my guess is he does not run larger midbass drivers. And why not run multiple subs? Granted they are in a similar location but I would bet there will be a sonic benefit. So you use the larger woofer for the increased SD that will provide added output in the lower frequencies just based on the increase in SD. You design the smaller woofer to play higher to help augment the subbass to midbass transition. Now again by the laws of physics the bigger woofer should be more effcient in the upper bass. But sometimes due to the Le of the woofer it can add distortion reduce the clarity etc... Smaller drivers tend to have a lower Le so can play higher cleaner with out the roll off. Plus he can better level match the 8" to the 12 easier than a smaller driver with a lot less distortion.

In the home theater, I used to use a big 18" with 2 10" subs. The 18 was for the infrasonics and I ran it sealed crossed at 50 hertz with a LT to extend the ass response to about 5 hertz. The 10's played 150 and down.one was behind be the other was in front on the side. I changed up to a Tuba Home theater horn design from Bill Fitzmaurice and still use one other 10 behind me.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:12 pm 

I used to run both my DDLE312 and DDLE308 together, and I never had a problem. Apart from the extra pressure created by two subs, I got the depth and power of the 12" mixed with the speed of the 8" .... but now I've got a HAT I6SW ... so swings and round abouts!

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:21 pm 

I need some help building my new door panels! http://m.youtube.com/index#/watch?v=Pky ... ata_player

I want to have big mid-bass and have a processor to time align. How do I make the mid-bass speakers sound like their in an enclosure?

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:50 pm 

without giving the design away, can you tell us more about it? Is the 8" bandpassed and the 12" picking up from there? Videos would be super cool to see how this sounds. I can tell you there are several people and several sq forums that will say this doesnt work and does not sound good for various reasons.

If this truly works and sounds good, this could be my answer. I am having a very hard time finding a spot to do decent midbass with out completely cutting my truck, which I dont want to do. I dont have under seat room in the front, door panel space, or space in my kicks. To get a decent 6.5" or 8" it would have to be some kinda custom door panel which I dont want to do either. If I can get an 8" and a 12" or 15" in one box, im in for sure.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am 

bump, anyone know more about this box?

I am being told this box should suffer from totally different response curves, group delay and phase characteristics, and cancellation. Some of that is over my head, but the long in short is people say it should sound like turd.

OfflineProfile
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next